What Youth Ministry can do without ...

YM and Its Future (I originally wrote this back in 2008)

Seems everyone is talking about the future of youth ministry.

So here are some things I suggest youth ministry can do without:



1. Gimmicks - finger blasters, trying to be cool toys to give out!

2. Games - such as chubby bunny or games that just embarrass kids.

3. More books on youth ministry. It seems everyone has written on it.

4. Focus on solely students or just youthworkers. Let's not forget their Number one influence in their lives is their parents.

5. The Blame Game of competing with Extra-curricular activities. I'm so sick of hearing youth pastors whine and complain - Oh, the school is competing or taking away from the students' youth group time or the parents' priorities aren't straight. (I'm thinking UMM Idiot get a life ... the parents are trying to do the best they can ...how about equipping your students to be light into their community instead of the little holy huddle in your youth group bubble?)

6. Complete copying others purpose driven, values, vision, etc without making it your own and adapting it to your context. I get it. Doug Fields is great but in middle of nowhere nebraska the whole let's be completely like the next mega church Guy doesn't work. Students can smell a Rat.

What things do you think Youth ministry can do without?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Hate David Crowder

My Search for the Black Rock Hotel.

Just a line to say I'm Living.