Wednesday, August 03, 2011
The Heresy of Imperfectionism.
I spoke about the heresy of perfectionism ... but there is one at the opposite end called Imperfectionism.
Why is this a heresy?
1. It downplays the atonement and grace as well. Romans 6:1-2. Shall we continue on sin that grace may abound?
2. It doesn't help us be transformed but we stay the same. Romans 12:2 tells us that we are to be no longer conformed to the pattern of this world but be transformed.
3. As Phil 3 reminds us we are to strive on the journey.
4. It downplays the part of the Holy Spirit's role. Galatians 5.
5. It doesn't help with the restoring process. Galatians 6:1 says "those who are spiritual should restore the one caught in sin."
6. It downplays the role of the Shepherd/ Elder - who am I to be telling people what to do?
7. It takes out of context the verse "Judge not ..." and has perconceived notions.
We, as Christians, aren't perfect. We are forgiven and on the journey. To remain "Imperfect" and in our own "state of Sinfulness" is to downplay Grace, God's love and atonement. We, that were imperfect sinners, are made whole by a perfect God that we may be seen Perfect on that DAY.
I like this song by Church of Rhythm called "Not Perfect"
May we may not be seen just as not imperfect, but I like how the late Mike Yaconelli phrases it - instead of "imperfect" Christians - it is messy. Why? Because life is messy. We're on this journey together and it can be joyful, hard, tearful, confusing. messy ...serving the perfect God that we are trying to be His Hands and feet to the World.
Being from Canada ...I'm a Hockey fan. Follow the Leafs, like the Jays. Went I went to college everyone had their teams ..... College ...
The Following is my own thoughts ...after this past Sunday ...one of our biggest attendances and one of the best Homecomings we have had .....
Funerals, memorials are a way to say goodbye. Those that are Christians, we have the hope to see each other again. The 4 Rs in dealing wi...
William B Gulick grew up in Covington, Kentucky. Baptized into Christ in July 1940. He graduated High School in 1947. He received his BA deg...