Tuesday, January 24, 2006
Top 10 Mistakes Youth Pastors Make
Some insight from an Interview
Things They Never Taught you in Seminary
Practical tips for dealing with the nitty-gritty issues of pastoral life by Deborah and James Bushfield Herald Press, 1994.
The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Makes - Hans Finzel.
Victor books, 1994.
What I wish my Youth Leader knew about Youth Ministry by Mike Nappa
8 Habits of an Effective Youth Worker - Tim Smith.
All star Bloopers from All-star Youth Leaders - group.
Things They Don't Teach At Bible College ....
But you Really Need to Know About Youth Ministry! By Todd Clark. Foreward by Les Christie.
Ten Skills They Didn't Teach you in Seminary by John Gocke
And here are my Top Ten: (Adapted from Top 10 Mistakes Leaders Make)
1. Attitude - make sure our attitude reflects the Saviour.
2. Paperwork Before People - Ministry is about Relationships.
3. Absence of Affirmation - Encouragement goes a long way.
4. No Room for Lone Rangers - You are not alone in Ministry.
5. The "I know all the Answers" Guy - Don't give Pat Answers.
6. Dirty Delegation - delegated those things you just don't like to do.
7. Communication Chaos. It is always better to overcommunicate than to undercommunicate.
8. Missing the Cues about your Church culture. There are some Sacred Cows of the Community you work - and to touch them could me updating your resume.
9. Success without Successors - Idea to have those that to do ministry even if you are to go elsewhere.
10. No Vision. Cast Vision, Give perspective and hope for the future.
And of course there are more - have some boundaries and accountability when it comes to dealing with finances, the opposite sex, and dealing with conflict.