Friday, September 27, 2024

Oak Hill Camp.

 I recently wrote about United Church of Christ donating to the Camp. One of the addendums I need to add is that the way the camp began and some of my own connections to the camp. It's land and buildings were donated with a Big Vision from some  of the people at the Gethsemane Church of Christ in 1953. Some of the families from the Boshers and Harrises helped start the camp. Many preachers including: Harvey Powell, Leland Short and others were instrumental in teaching and leading there. 

Fact is my own wife's grandfather, Paul Ruziak volunteered and stayed at the camp in the late 70s as a Volunteer camp manager of sorts. Glenn Foster was used big time to keep the camp together through the 80s- 2000s. I had served on the board when a youth minister at Liberty Christian, (being Grant Foster's youth minister (Glenn's son) and later when the minister at Bonnie Brae.

At Bonnie Brae, I helped with the transition of the camp. From retirement of the camp manager to new manager. The Board of Jerry Martin, Kim Ellet, Carol Morrison Dymacek-Waldrop, Pam Strong ... helped pave the way. They later had passed the baton to a new board.  Personally, I helped with the inspection and sale of the United Facility. (Being the chairman of the board at the time) Having secured a realtor, and getting a sale of $1.2 Million. I can say I left the camp in a better financial setting than found it. There was one time there was like $50 in the bank account and we had a camp manager, who had a family, to pay..  Believe me I was praying big time. Some of the run around with the selling of the building wasn't the realtors but dealing with attorneys. (who seem to run on their own schedule). One time I camped out literally at one of the attorney's offices (who wasn't returning calls for weeks) and only after being there, was allowed to speak to the attorney a few minutes to get their input. Afterall achieved I, too, knew it was time to scale back.

We had the funding, a plan. The reigns were handed over to a new board, interim camp manager and I've not really been involved in the camp in the last few years. Why? cause sometimes behind the scenes is a better view. May God get the glory.



No comments:

Guidelines to Discussion

I've used the following guidelines for our Small Group Discussion on our study with Intentional Churches  and looking at our own church ...