So over at Puck Daddy blog
they have different sports and hockey personalities writing on 5 ways they'd change the NHL ... so here are mine. (I originally wrote this in 2008 and update
1. Fire Gary Bettman
there is even a website
dedicated to do so. Fact is even with some of the recent improvements of the "NEW" NHL - the current commish has lost respect from the fans, players, and well some of the ownership doesn't even know or understand the direction the NHL is going. (The Coolest Game on ICE) The commish has made this rich and vast history sport into a mockery and well for the NHL to make up for things like the lockout, expansions, Free agency out of control, Hockey hard to find on the networks ... and well disrespect from the Union ... Gary needs to go.Still the same ...The commish is expanding the league yet it still has its issues.
2. Turn the Winter Classic idea to the Stanley Cup Champions versus All-stars. Having the Winter Classic and the recent all-star game (almost a joke now and wondering why?) The Winter Classic needs to embrace the different venues and also make the Break ..worth it. The Classic has almost lost its promo. And With the talk of the NHL not being in the Olympics .... this is not going to fair well in the future.
3. Bring back the Canada Cup. (The World Cup is for "football fans" (aka soccer) and have the PR department do a good job to promote the whole North American rivalry. Canada versus the US. That's what people want to see. From the winter olympics to the Canada Cup. People still talk about Canadians versus Americans in hockey ... its almost natural.
4. Less Games. More Action. Every team should face each other at least 2x. and in each division maybe 3x. Make the current schedule between 60-72 games. A long season makes the prolonged "losers" offering no hope. This would also make those teams that try to tank to make their draft pick better... not do so well.
5. Add more Goons. Celebrate the history of the NHL. Don't insult the current and loyal fans you have. Change even the names of the divisions to the old names. Quit trying to win new fans while losing some of your loyal fan base. Further expansion to KC, and Vegas is almost insulting is you can't get the support for current teams you have. Adding more goons - brings more action, more thrill, and well more Canadian viewership (where alot of the revenue comes from) for the game. Celebrate NHL's VAST history. The oldest Trophy to be awarded. The most unique trophy. And well ... Get a new franchise to Hamilton. (It is afterall only commonsense)
Vegas gets a team before Quebec? Not exploring the market in Southern Ontario? What? Have they lost their minds?
I do look forward to this season and some of the changes ...
Friday, September 02, 2016
1. What will my Bible reading plan be? 2. What can I do to reach out to others? 3. What specific steps can I take to loving my family mo...
I'm fascinated by History. From my office I am at the foothills of South Mountain and can view Black Rock. (I want to take a picture t...
A Christian Perspective: “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses the life of faith, let us strip off every w...
The Following is my own thoughts ...after this past Sunday ...one of our biggest attendances and one of the best Homecomings we have had .....