I wrote this article several years ago ....
So I got thinking that there are churches that think Youth Ministry as a Crutch. They use, abuse, and misuse the idea of youth ministry. So here are some things that churches do that use Youth Ministry as a Crutch:
1. They see it as a way to Grow the Church.
2. They see youth ministry as glorified babysitting.
3. More programs, more outings = more fun, games and more of YMCA director.
4. They get what they pay for. So let's pay our youth minister poor, give him no Budget but we expect our church's youth group to be like Willow Creek, Saddleback or any other Mega Church (Insert Name here)
5. Isn't youth ministry just a stepping stone so young ministers can be "REAL" Ministers and get their own "Church" (Notice tongue in cheek)
6. Let's Sell. Fundraise and market Jesus. Afterall it will bring people to our church.
7. We don't want those type of kids. (What type is that anyways?) Just look after our kids. (Back to the babysitting mentality)
8. The Senior Minister is the final authority. (Translation: Don't you dare do anything to tick us off or you're fired and we'll talk to the Senior pastor before you because we don't have to come to you ...)
9. Why aren't you at all our kids events, and why did you have to have all these trips during my sons basketball season, and why is it my "Sally" can't be in the Praise Band but that girl with "Pink hair" can?
10. Everyone is your Boss.
Don't you just want to love God and love students rather than using the Crutches and politics of Church agenda.
Sincerity – being yourself in any direction. “Sincerity makes the least ,am to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite.” Charles ...
William B Gulick grew up in Covington, Kentucky. Baptized into Christ in July 1940. He graduated High School in 1947. He received his BA deg...
Wednesday nights we started this study. We just finished a study on Islam and now onto Eastern Religions. What are you studying on?
Currently we are exploring on Sunday AM - The Wilderness Wanderings found in Exodus and Numbers. On Wednesday nites we are looking at the...