Fear No Evil Camp.


I was last week at Oak Hill Camp with 3-5th Graders and loved it. The theme of the week was "Fear No Evil" ..I had the chance to speak at Vespers on Monday Nite. The daily theme for that day was something we don't hear about much "Fear God."

My Text was from Ecclesiastes 12:9-14 (NIV) "Not only was the Teacher wise, but he also imparted knowledge to the people. He pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs. The Teacher searched to find just the right words, and what he wrote was upright and true. The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one shepherd.Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them.
Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.
Now all has been heard;here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the duty of all mankind.
For God will bring every deed into judgment,including every hidden thing,whether it is good or evil."

I asked what things they were afraid of. I mentioned the thing I had in common with David Crowder - our dislike of squirrels.

And then told the story of Elisha and the Two bears ....

2 Kings 2:23-24
King James Version (KJV)
23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

So Why Fear God?

I. He is to be fearful. Romans 1 .... and story of Elisha and everytime Angel appears and says "fear not"

II. He is Fabulous. The wonder of God. Exodus 3 - Burning Bush - "I AM" sent you.


III. He is our Friend. Prov.17:17 Rom. 5:8 A Friend loves at all times. God demonstrating His love for us.


Why fear God?

Matthew 10:28
New International Version (NIV)
28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Search for the Black Rock Hotel.

I Hate David Crowder

Just a line to say I'm Living.