Applying the Sermon: Book Review

Just finished reading Daniel Overdorf's book. I've had this on my "To Read" list for some time. I must say I was mildly surprised on how good this book is. I liked Robinson's Biblical Preaching ... This book is almost a companion to that text. Applying the sermon is how not only to balance the Word and how it applies today, but what preachers struggle with week after week in studying a text and its context and making it relevant for today.

Daniel Overdorf gives some great insight into Sermon writing and how one needs to get people from hearers of the Word to Doers.

One of the things I appreciate about this work, is the insight not just from Overdorf himself but also from other scholars, and people who are known to apply the sermon ... from Haddon Robinson to Will Willimon to Bob Russell. Great insights on all levels.

This book is one who is starting out in preaching; or has been preaching for years and needs a refresher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Hate David Crowder

My Search for the Black Rock Hotel.

Just a line to say I'm Living.