Salesmen and the Ministry.

It used to be being a tentmaker was a good thing. Several church leaders I've know to sell goods, supplies, cars and insurance. The problem becomes when do you go from seeing the congregation you serve as potential "suckers..." ummm I mean customers to which you exploit.

Our job, as church leaders, is first and foremost to preach Christ, and Him crucified.

I think we do a disservice otherwise.

I think we can justify a lot of different services and say well it promotes Jesus. Thus we get more into the Industry of Christianialization(A word I just made up) of things rather than pointing people to Jesus. There is enough, tidbits, gadgets, and well "Jesus Junk" to make well Jesus want to flip over a table or two.

Which brings me to a point: Why is it we expect institutions, people to be Christian when they are clearly not?Things cannot be Christian.

Jesus didn't come to be a politician; institution; nor to have us sign petitions and boycott. Jesus came to save. Why is it we expect people to be Christian and act Christian - when they are not. Walmart, Target, Sears, or wherever you shop aren't Christians. Christians need to shop there to show non-believers how Christians should act.

Church Leaders' job is to help love God and love others ... not all the selling of the latest fad, gadget, or even the latest movie. (seems to me the movie industry is having Church Leaders to Free Screenings to be their PR agents and thus the Leaders can lose their focus and mission as to what they need to be doing) Don't get me wrong, movies, and that can be a valuable tool. But that is all it is.

The Apostle Paul says   "Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.  To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law." 1 Corinthians 9:19-20.


These things are all tools: Social media, buildings, programs, Bible School etc.


The Church is the people.  There is value in using tools and technology. (something the Amish and some in the "House Church" movement don't see.)


It all comes down to - does this point to Jesus? If it doesn't why do it? There are just some things that have went through their cycle. Here are some Thoughts I have in thinking through on some of this.


I. Is there a starting point to this item?


II. What is the focus? Does it focus on God or His message or the item itself?


III. What can we learn from what we are doing? (Sometimes the hardest thing is criticism and evaluating one's programs, tools etc.)


IV. Will this help us share the good news of Jesus? (Sure lots of things can be justified to share the Good News - afterall I always wanted to be a professional NHL Zamboni Driver and maybe just have John 3:16 on my zamboni, right?)






Other Thoughts:


What do you think of salesmen and ministry?


What about Jesus Junk? (own any?)


What do you think about the above blog post? Agree or disagree?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Hate David Crowder

My Search for the Black Rock Hotel.

Just a line to say I'm Living.