Handling A Forced Exit
Sooner or later it seems like everyone in youth ministry has to deal with losing their job. There are times when this is by your choice, there are times when it is mutual, and their are times when you are forced to leave your ministry against your wish.
The following is a list of suggestions that you may want to take into consideration if this happens to you.
1. Use Resources (Link to Hurting Resources @ YMX) that are already out there to help with the healing process and get onto the road of recovery.
2. Get as much encouragement as possible. There will be bouts of doubt, depression, anxiety, stress, and knowing where God is - in this time.
3. Get some accountability and counseling advice.
4. Move on, but also cherish the memories. Make a scrapbook, write a resignation letter. Be positive - even if you are not.
5. Get a GOOD recommendation IN WRITING from the former congregation. Sometimes - even if forced exit having this might save the pain of Gossip, rumours, and hearsay, and reading too much or too little inbetween the lines.
6. Ask for a contractual agreement of what to take what not to take. Example - if computer, books, etc is church's verify that or have that the church gave those as a gift to you and have it in WRITING, so no accusation you stole from the church.
7. Update your resume. Use your network of friends, see if you want to get back into ministry right away or a time to reflect on God's calling on your life.
8. Apply at local jobs for a time. Get involved at another church as a volunteer. Sometimes it is better to be a volunteer and then see where God is directing you.
9. Read. Reflect. Reason. Look at yourself. Was there things you could improve on? Others. Be a peacekeeper. Don't anguish over the exit but also be a good critic of your former ministry and yourself.
10. Pray. Should be #1. Take time to get your soul refreshed. Take time to contemplate the way God has brought you to this point.
Forced Exits and termination in Youth Ministry are things that break my heart. The church abuses it's own too much. It is time to